Biblioasis Press Seeks Winter 2015 – 2016 Volunteers
A new season’s started at Biblioasis, which means we’re looking for a new crew of bright, enthusiastic volunteers.
Our press office handles nearly every step a manuscript takes on its path to becoming a widely-read book, including acquisition, editing, typesetting, cover design, stock management, publicity, and bookstore sales. Authors published by Biblioasis regularly make news across North America: several have either won or been shortlisted for major awards; more have been featured and reviewed in the New York Times Book Review, Wall Street Journal, Globe & Mail, Toronto Star, Washington Post, Maclean’s, and other outlets. Volunteering here offers an opportunity to gain experience at one of Canada’s most prestigious independent presses. Students interested in the publishing industry are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Assisting with author event coordination, including travel arrangements.
- Bibliodata and stock level monitoring.
- Logging reviews, press, and other media hits.
- Updating and maintaining the press website.
- Assisting with local, national, and international market research.
- Assisting with catalog and advanced review copy mailings.
- Assisting with miscellaneous administrative tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently on a range of short-, medium- and long-term tasks with minimal supervision.
- Good verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with social media.
What We Can Offer:
- Travel and lunch stipend.
- Employee discount on all books in the bookstore.
What We’d Ask of You:
- A commitment of at least four hours each week.
Access to a car is preferred but not required.
To apply for the position, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: December 11, 2015.